Return to Menu

Mean Creek Production Internship

Proscenia video affiliate, and UO Senior Journalism Major, Nat Flynn-Ryan had a unique opportunity to be a Production Assistant on a film being shot in the Portland area. Here is his, "What I did this summer," story.

I had big plans for this past summer. After 2 years since my first trip to Italy, I was going to return and study Italian, hopefully to reach the point of fluency. But after a disappointing offer of financial aid that dream was out, and I was left trying to figure out what I would do.

I had a keen idea that it would be rewarding to find an internship, preferably one that was paid. I searched and searched, one day stumbled over an posting at oregonfilm.org. It was very vague, but what it did say was that a film production from L.A. was coming to Estacada, (east of Portland) and they needed unpaid interns because the budget was so low. So, I submitted my resume and after two interviews I was asked to come back and help out as a production assistant/intern.

The first week was spent at the office and in my car, running errands and making phone calls for the production coordinators. I later found out that it was a period for them to figure out if they wanted me to work on the set. The next week I was assigned to be one of six production assistants, and for the remaining 4 weeks (26 days) I was on the set an average of 12-16 hours a day. It wasn't easy work, either.

A production assistant's job (ref.1) (ref.2) is to essentially do whatever no one else wants to do: carry equipment, set up lunch tables and tents, run errands, help with catering, and help lock off the set by keeping it quiet and still.

It did turn out to be a rewarding experience, despite all the tough work, and the fact that I wasn't paid. I spent most of the production nights camping on the set, as it was an hour and a half away from home. I learned a lot about what goes on during set production. I was able to see what everyone did, how movies were shot, and make connections with people in the film industry. I even had the luxury of having a movie star fart on my back. All I have to say about that is Rory Culkin (Macaulay's brother) is a typical teenage boy.

The movie is called Mean Creek, and the release date as stated on imdb.com is in February, so I'd look for it around then. It's the story of a bunch of high school and middle school kids who decide to revenge the beating of one of the boy's younger brothers (Rory). Their plan goes awry, however, and you'll have to watch the movie to see what I mean. I have the feeling it is going to be a really brilliant picture. The director, Jacob Aaron Estes, is just a beginner as this is his first full length feature. He is also the writer.

The movie was subsidized by White Water films, which is owned by , the executive producer. The other producers were Susan Johnson and Hagai Shaham, both really nice people. Everyone on the set was great to hang out with, and overall it was an incredibly fun experience. I would easily do it again.

Hopefully next time I will get paid

Editors Note: Taking advantage of opportunities, as Nat did this summer, is one way to get your foot in the door. Finding unique networking opportunities facilitate one's securing additional work in the future.